Abu Usamah at-Thahabi is an Imam at Green Lane Masjid in Birmingham, England.
According to his own bio:
Abu Usamah was born in New Jersey in 1964. He embraced Islam in 1986 and went onto studying in the Islamic University of Madinah for eight years where he graduated from the College of Da’wah and Usool-ad-Din. Abu Usamah has been very active in da’wah since the day he embraced Islam. He has been the Imam of various mosques in the United States and in the United Kingdom. His zeal and eagerness in conveying the true message of Islam has lead him to many parts of the world, delivering lectures and seminars, as well as translating for many scholars and du’aat from the Arab world. Abu Usamah has been blessed in studying with some of the greatest scholars of our time, to name a few, Sheikh Umar Fulaatah at the Rawdah of the Prophets Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad ‘Atiyyah Saalim (author of Tafsir ‘Adwaa ul-Bayaan’), Sheikh Abdullah Muhammad al-Ghunaymaan, Sheikh Muhammad al-Jaami, Sheikh Saalih al-Fawzaan and many more. He was also very fortunate to have spent two summers in intensive study under Sheikh Ibn Baaz and Sheikh Ibn Uthaymin.
On August 5-6, 2017 Abu Usamah At-Thahabi was one of the guest speakers at Salaheddin Islamic Centre in Scarborough, ON alongside Alaa Elsayed, Moutasem al-Hameedy, Ibrahim Hindy, Aly Hindy, Karim AbuZaid and Navaid Aziz.
In an lecture at Green Lane Masjid Published on Jun 12, 2016 Abu Usamah at-Thahabi said:
All of the other miracles, all of them caused people to believe in him [Mohammad] more, more, more. Banu Israel [Israelites] was [sic] not like that. The miracle would be given and they would disbelieve. The miracle would be given and they would kill the prophets and they would kill the messengers. The miracle would be given and they would disobey Allah. They took the cow for worship, and you know in every culture, especially the Arab culture, the cow is not a good animal. It’s dumb. Like some animals are pretty smart, like the monkey is smart, like the coyotes, the wolf, the wolf, the fox is smart, or maybe the animal is beautiful, he can run fast, the gazelle is beautiful. The cow is a problem. It is dumb. He is on the earth and he is working the earth. Even the Prophet [Mohammad], peace and blessing be upon him, said the one who talks and he goes overboard and he trying to be articulate, he is like the cow whose tongue is going all over the place. He said: Don’t talk like that’. The cow is dumb. And what did they do? They took a baby cow and said: ‘That’s our Allah’. Gives you an idea of the mentality and the reality of these people [Jews]. So any time we’re looking at the news and all that stuff like that, you have to look at these incidents with Israel. You have to look at these incidents [from] the backdrop of Islam, the Quran and the Sunnah [teachings of the Prophet Muhammad]. [It] doesn’t mean that all of them are necessarily bad people, like inherently bad people, like inherently bad people, that there is no benefit in them [لا خير فيهم]. Some of them have good moral [اخلاق], some of them so far so on, but if they [Jews] were like that in the Quran rest assured that’s their nature. That’s their nature.
Abu Usamah at-Thahabi advised Muslims to learn about the nature of Jews from the Quran and the Sunnah. The Saudi scholar Dr. Ameen Bin Abdullah Al-Shaqawi summarized the descriptions of the Jews in the Quran and the Sunnah [teachings of the Prophet Muhammad]:
- “You will surely find the most intense of the people in animosity toward the believers [to be] the Jews.”
- “No one can escape from the evilness of the Jews,” The Jews are known for “spreading corruption in the land; spreading drugs and liquor, and propagating obscenities and vices among the peoples, they are the dealers of vice, and prostitutes, and they control multiple media channels, which spread pornographic pornography, and also spread infidelity and atheism, and doubt Muslims because of their faith and religion, and strive to spoil the earth in every way they possess.”
- The Jews are known for “their treachery, betrayal, and breaking the covenants.” The Jews are “disobedient to Allah,” “they [the Jews] are the killers of the prophets,” the Jew “lie to Allah” and “they deserve the wrath of Allah and curse till the Day of Resurrection.” The Jews are “the most stingy people.” “Allah punished them [the Jews] by turning them into apes and pigs.”
The website counterextremism.com gleaned other controversial statements made by Abu Usamah at-Thahabi:
- “[Gays are] perverted, dirty, filthy dogs who should be murdered.”
- Do you practice homosexuality with men? Take that homosexual man and throw him off the mountain.
- “Whoever changes his religion from al-Islam to anything else kill him in the Islamic state.”
- “Allah has created the women, even if she gets a PhD, deficient. Her intellect is incomplete, deficient.”
- “Popular culture … if you’re a person who gives yourself to that, your mind is going to be controlled by the so-called powers to be, who make these manmade laws.”